RE: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 07:38:41 -0700
>I guess I need a little clarity on this. Why would you do a PAL60 if you
>truly implement PAL50 with fractional movement?

I hadn't really decided to change ball velocity values to compensate for PAL50, but that seems like a fairly trivial thing to do.

My question is: Is the pixel aspect ratio for PAL60 the same as NTSC?

I was under the impression that it was, so PAL60 users would get a more faithful representation than PAL50 users because the screen wouldn't be squashed (and I don't have the ROM space to build a dedicated PAL50 kernel).

If, however, the aspect ratio for PAL60 is the same as PAL50 (unlikely as it may seem), then you're right... there's no need to support both as long as I compensate for the lower refresh rate.

Would PAL users, if given the choice, select PAL60 over PAL50?  I've already implemented all three modes, but I'd still appreciate answers/comments on this topic.

Thanks for asking the hard questions, Dennis. :)

-Lee