Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60
From: debrodennis@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:35:39 +0000

Hi Thomas,

> At least on my TV (using an AV modded Atari), the 1st PAL mode (PAL60,
> right?) has the same aspect ratio. The other one looks a bit squashed,
> but IMO still acceptable.

What do you mean by squashed? I'm at work right now and don't have the binary with me so I can't test it.

PAL60 is producing 262 scan lines, right? So I assume PAL50 is adjusting the vertical blank and overscan time to get 312 scan lines. Is the display squashed or more like a letter box feel? Glenn pointed out a while ago that most NTSC TV's can handle 200 visible scan lines. You could go to a 200 scan line kernel to get rid of some of the letter boxing.

I'm still trying to see why one would do both a PAL60 and a PAL50.

Take care,
Dennis