Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:01:10 +0200
Dennis wrote:
> What do you mean by squashed? I'm at work right now and don't
> have the binary with me so I can't test it.

The vertical size is much smaller as in NTSC or PAL60 mode.

> PAL60 is producing 262 scan lines, right?

Yup.

> So I assume PAL50 is adjusting the vertical blank and overscan time
> to get 312 scan lines.

I think so, yes.

> Is the display squashed or more like a letter box feel?

The bounding rectangle is lower in PAL50. Which is just logical,
because the TV displays only 262 scanlines in NTSC and PAL60 vs. 312
scanlines in PAL50. Since the ROM only uses about 200 of them for
display, the scanline usage ratio is much worse in PAL50.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |