Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:02:58 -0700
>You can't compensate for aspect ratio for sprites for the most part because
>you can't exactly scale a sprite to sub-scanline levels.  So if a scanline
>is 10% shorter in PAL50 than NTSC then sprites are going to be shorter even
>if you somehow add some extra padding to extend the playfield out to the
>edges.  So with that, combined with the palette, sound, and speed
>differences, an NTSC game is just not going to be quite the same as a PAL
>game no matter what you do.

I didn't consider sound, but you're right on all counts.  It would be unreasonable to expect a PAL50 game to look, sound, and behave exactly like its NTSC cousin or vice-versa.  This was the main reason I added PAL60 support, where there is only a slight shift in color palette, but no other difference.

-Lee