Re: [stella] A new colour display technology

Subject: Re: [stella] A new colour display technology
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:41:45 +0200
Andrew wrote:
> I thought I'd post this idea to the list, in case someone wants to have a go
> at implementing it.  I don't have the time right now, but I do know it will
> work.  This is a new technique for displaying colour graphics.

Cool idea! I really like your creativity! Actually I had tried using
the interlace mode here myself too, but my approach was different
and the results looked pretty ugly. I suppose your technology
will work better.

> But the overall effect of this two frame technique with interlacing is;
>
> * no flicker (other than interlacing, which we're all used to)

I am not absolutely sure here. IIRC my experiments with interlace on
the Atari 2600 looked quite flickering. But maybe I am wrong here.

> * improved perceived resolution (we're doubling vertical resolution with the
> interlacing anyway)

Yes, but IMO you are also reducing the effective vertical resolution by
combining 3 lines.

> * a much nicer image overall.

Maybe. :-)

Have fun!
Thomas
Thomas Jentzsch         | *** Every bit is sacred ! ***
tjentzsch at web dot de |
Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist
WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200