Re: [stella] Meltdown programming tricks

Subject: Re: [stella] Meltdown programming tricks
From: Andrew Towers <mariofrog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:07:01 +1000
At 03:17 PM 25/08/2004 +0200, you wrote:
I think this trick was already mentioned here. IIRC Andrew Towers
posted a demo some time ago that shows two dragons which are
made out of two double wide players each. But his timing might
have been different than in the Meltdown code that you found.

My post was called "Re: Wide Missile Spacing?": http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200312/msg00108.html

I'm using both P0 and P1 to draw two large dragons using double
width player graphics -- in all there are 4 different double
width players on each scanline, each showing unique graphics.
(the dragon on the right is a flipped copy, but actually the
image data is independent and can be any two or four images).

|--P0a--|--P1a--| |--P0b--|--P1b--|

It also uses VDELP to pre-load the graphics on the right,
otherwise there isn't enough time to switch both players'
NUSIZ *and* load the new graphics.

I couldn't get it to work in any emulator, so I asked for people
to try it on hardware. Christopher Tumber posted that it works
if you move two pixels to the right (using the joystick):
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200312/msg00113.html

--
Andrew.