RE: [stella] New game - Fall Down

Subject: RE: [stella] New game - Fall Down
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:45:10 -0500
> So the point is just to keep falling down through the holes?  It
> seems a bit
> easy.

To me, the objective is a little more complex than just falling down through
holes.  The challenge isn't only to keep from scrolling off the top of the
screen, but to beat your opponent to each hole so you can claim the point
for that platform (and be visually rewarded by the platform changing color).
When you start a new game, it's more about racing your opponent to claim
points and collect speedups, but as the game progresses, things get more
desperate as you try harder and harder just to stay alive.  This gradual
shift in objective during gameplay helps keep things interesting.

I think Aaron's game is well-balanced and appears to be well-tested.  I was
pleasantly surprised at how well the VCS AI played.  While the game's
concept is simple, it's very well executed, IMHO.

-Lee