RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels

Subject: RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:42:38 -0700
The problem is you can't do much sprite animation this way because every frame of graphics would require a huge block of ROM.

If you write a game for the Supercharger it's definitely the way to go since you can overwrite the sprite each frame and store the frames of animation elsewhere. It's basically how sprites work on the Atari 8-bit, reserving a strip of RAM for each.

At 08:45 AM 9/1/2004, you wrote:
> I was able to get around using skipdraw by
> page-aligning my sprites and
> padding the top (remember, it's stored upside down)
> with zeroes to fill up
> the page.

That's what I also did in 'Incoming'.  Wastes a lot of
ROM, but can't be beat speed-wise.

All said and done, by doing that and unrolling the
kernel such that each iteration draws 8 lines, I was
able to do a full-width asymmetrical playfield, an
X-position-independent player and ball, an
X-position-dependent player (right side of the screen
only), and also change background and playfield colors
every 8 lines.  Pretty tight code though...

Ben