RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels

Subject: RE: [stella] Ms. Pac Man, Mr. Do, striped playfields, and one-line kernels
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:03:51 -0500
> If you only need shades of a few colors, you could use a table and OR
> (or AND) the values:
>
>    lda  baseColor    ; e.g. $bf (-> $3x and $8x)
>    and  ColorTable,x
>    sta  COLUBK
>
> ColorTable:
>   .byte $3e  ; some high nibble bits missing
>   .byte $3c
>   .byte $3a
>   .byte $38
>   .byte $ce  ; some different high nibble bits missing
>   .byte $cc
>   .byte $ca
>   .byte $c8
>
> The color selection is a bit limited, but maybe it is still useful.

Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake... or just too fast to respond.  But I
just "got" your example.  I think.  Basically, instead of using separate
NTSC and PAL tables, just plug in a base color that represents NTSC or PAL
and perform some simple math.  I could probably do the PAL/SECAM version by
using OR instead of AND because I'd want color brightness to ramp for PAL,
but not for SECAM.

Slick.

I'll save this one for a rainy day. :)

> Have fun!