RE: [stella] Reflex: Yeah! Skipdraw incorporated!

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: Yeah! Skipdraw incorporated!
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:11:24 -0500
> This is the first time that I've tried out Reflex.  I really like
> the concept!
> I'm fond of the Breakout/Arkanoid-style games and this is an interesting
> twist.  (It's probably the closest we'll ever get to the arcade
> Off the Wall,
> too.)

It's based on a Compute's! Gazette game for the Commodore 64 called
Powerball, which was pretty addictive when I was a kid.

> The title screen theme is a nice touch, especially with the
> little equalizer
> display at the bottom.  :)

Thanks!  It re-uses the lookup table for displaying lives while in game.  I
quickly added it as an alternate "assembly option," but I've gotten some
positive feedback about it, so it's probably staying.

> According to your source file, you're planning on implementing a
> ball velocity
> table and multiplier.  I presume this means things will speed up
> as a round
> goes on.  Paddle "english" has a state of "W" - is this for
> work-in-progress?
> That will definitely add a lot to the game, because right now the
> ball always
> moves at the same angles, and hitting it with the left or right
> side of the
> paddle changes nothing.

Paddle english is in progress and not only do I agree that it will add a lot
to the game, but it will make the difference between fun and not fun. :)

> Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are you planning for the
> difficulty switches (if anything), and how will the game get
> harder as you go
> on?  Will the ball's speed increase?  Will the paddles get smaller?

The difficulty switches will change the paddle size in both the one- and
two-player games.  The plan is to have the ball speed increase during game
play... and have the rate of increase be dependant on the stage.

> Will there be different deflection noises as in Super Breakout?  :)

I'm not sure what else I'll do with the in-game sound at this point.

> At any rate, I like what I see so far.  Keep it up!
>
> - Erik

Thanks for the great feedback!
-Lee