Re: [stella] Meditations on the pause button

Subject: Re: [stella] Meditations on the pause button
From: "Aaron" <stella-receiver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 03:07:14 +0100 (BST)
Glenn Saunders said:
> For those who are running binaries via a Supercharger or CC it's easy
> enough to offer two different versions of a game available for 2600 and
> 7800/2600-compatible mode.
>
> Having the autosensing is more important with physical cartridges.

That's true, though I'd rather not distribute four different binaries...
and I've thought of Yet Another Solution :)

Looking through the list archives, I found this little piece of info...

Eckhard Stolberg said:
> Another problem is that the handling of the undefined bits for the
> TIA read registers was changed. On the 2600 the 6 lower bits will
> always read whatever data was on the data bus last. Usually this is
> the address of the register. On the 7800 these bits will always be
> zero. Mountain King for example starts to (accidentally ?) use the
> TIA read registers as level data pointers when you go too high.
> This is how the secret kingdom comes to be. On the 7800 you can't
> get there, since the accidental level data will be different.

So if I'm getting this right, I could do something like this:

lda $0f
beq this_is_a_7800
;2600 code goes here

Unless there's some case when the 2600's data bus would not contain $0f?

...in which case, I had another (really cheap) idea - I could also use the
select switch to pause, since Fall Down doesn't use it during game play.

-Aaron