Re: [stella] Missing messages

Subject: Re: [stella] Missing messages
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 02:00:24 -0400
On Thursday 09 September 2004 00:51, Russ Perry Jr wrote:
> Yes, but you were using the term "missing", which I was trying
> to carefully point out wasn't the right term, as it implies
> that the archive will NEVER have those posts.

They're supposed to be there, they're not.  People miss them.
Therefore, they are missing. ;)

> At 9:34 PM -0400 9/8/04, Rob wrote:
> > So are there people at biglist who are Stella subscribers?
> > Because it seems to me that a list run on servers controlled
> > by one or more Stella members is going to receive higher
> > priority than one running on an uninterested party's
> > hardware out of the goodness of their hearts.
>
> That assumption might be trumped by the fact that, even though
> the list is donated, the people who donated it are at work,
> NOT trying to do it in their free time.  And do we really want
> the few 2600 coders out there maintaining a mailing list
> instead of coding 2600 games?

I can't speak for the people who have already offered to donate
their services, but running a mail server and lists is already
part of my job, so what's one more?  And having not released any
Atari code in the last 5 and a half years, I would scarcely be
able to claim the 5 extra minutes a month spent on stella over
the existing stuff would detract from my non-coding ;)

That said, I am not one of the people who has already offered to
donate his services, as I would need to talk to my business
partner first and I'm already running a huge wiki for a free
software project on our shared T1 colo hosts.  But my point is
that it's not safe to assume there's no one on the list who's
already doing this professionally, or that all 200+ of us are
actively coding during our entire set of free time.  (OK, I was
coding in my free time tonight, but it was in perl.)

Come clean, Russ.  Who's the lucky lady at biglist? ;)

Rob