RE: [stella] Reflex: Online level editor

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: Online level editor
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:13:11 +0200
Lee wrote:
> No, but I've thought about it a lot.  Since each uncompressed byte of level
> data only uses 5 bits, that would mean up to 32 data nodes in the huffman
> tree to represent all the bit patterns, plus 1 extra node to represent the
> end of a level.

Why would you need an end of level node? You know the number of pattern
for each level, don't you.

And are you sure 32 pattern are enough? (probably I miss something here)

> Since there are n-1 branches, my huffman tree could get as
> large as (and would likely take) 65 bytes.  Then I have the bit pattern
> lookup table which is another 16 bytes long, bringing the overhead to 81
> bytes.

That's the part which would be drastically reduced with my approach. There
you only need one byte/bit. So with a maximum length of e.g. 7 bits, you
would only need 7 bytes for that table.

> My decompression routine, not including the mirroring function,
> takes another 156 bytes.

And my simple code would only need ~50 bytes.

> Basically, the compressed level data would require 237 bytes of decompression
> overhead, which just _feels_ like too much.

Probably, at least definitely to much "extra" overhead, even if you assume
that your compression would be better. (which it is not! ;-)

> I guess my point is... I'm having second thoughts about straight huffman
> compression.  I may need your help soon, Thomas. :)

No problem. If you provide the encoding, I can do the decode code quite easily.

Have fun!
Thomas
Thomas Jentzsch         | *** Every bit is sacred ! ***
tjentzsch at web dot de |
Mit WEB.DE FreePhone® mit höchster Qualität ab 0 Ct./Min.