Re: [stella] Jumpman: Easy Does It

Subject: Re: [stella] Jumpman: Easy Does It
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:51:22 +0200
Manuel wrote:
> Timed overwrites of PF0/1 where required. The whole screen is devided in 5
> separate kernels, with the two variable sections being specialized to this.

Sounds like a kernel puzzle. :-)

> Two make the structure blue and the ladders yellow, I'd need to double the
> data and split it into structure/ladders only, alternately displaying
> those and adjust the colors accordingly. That's what Paul suggested I
> think. Something like flickering sprites at 30Hz.

I see, maybe you could also mix yellow and blue. But why would that
double the RAM usage? Are the levels that much changeable during play?

> There might be empty areas for this as well, or partially mirrored areas
> (like in Venture). Also, not all screens require multiplexed enemies.

I see. So you develop specialized kernels, vertically separate the
screens and use those kernels there. Right?

> There you go:

What are the major problems which would stop you from doing them?

>> I must admit I never played the game long enough to get very far.

> Shame on you! ;-)

I know. But I played Thrust instead. :-)

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |