Re: [stella] Confused newbie...

Subject: Re: [stella] Confused newbie...
From: Kevin Lipe <kevin.lipe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:32:10 -0500
> You might also want to look at the archives for source samples. This
> helped me out a lot. The archives are full of information. I hope they get
> updated soon.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that, and also through all the available
disassemblies... I've looked at a few (Air-Sea Battle, Cosmic Ark, and
Dragonfire) and what I've seen has helped me, but... I guess this is
pretty tough to do, and thats why not very many people do it (VCS
programming, that is)

> > And I guess 37 scanlines is probably plenty of time for a pretty
> > simple game like the one I've got in mind, i just wanted to see how
> > the "pros" did it.
>
> I wouldn't call your game idea simple. From the description I read it
> seems you'll be doing some variable flicker and positioning the 2 sprites
> in the kernel (if you show the score too).

This is true... The only other system I've done any programming for at
all is the NES, and this would be a pretty simple game on the NES, so
I guess that's what I'm basing this on... Maybe the score issue could
be simplified by displaying the score after you die, like Yar's
Revenge does? That would keep me from having to display it during
gameplay...

Maybe I should put this idea on hold and make some minigame-type
things and simpler ideas before I start on this, my "masterpiece"? I
don't really want to but, if it helps me to be a better programmer
then maybe I should.

Thanks again... I'm about to leave for a few hours but when I get back
I'll start working on the game some more.

Would it help me if I split all my DEX loops into individual scanlines
with a DEY or INY so I could implement a good scanline counter, and
also have the code broken up into individual scanlines that I can cram
code into as I need to? Seems like none of the games I've seen have
those loops in them because they're all taken by calculations...

Thanks!
kevin