Re: [stella] more tia schematic questions

Subject: Re: [stella] more tia schematic questions
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:50:50 -0400 (EDT)
That seems reasonable.  Though strictly speaking you should always cover
all your input possibilities.  I.e. with "else" clauses in "if" statements
and "others" in "case" statements, etc.  I think processes (doesn't your
"if" statement have to be inside a process?) imply flops, so you might get
away with it in this case, but it's mildly deprecated.

This is just a D-Latch.  (thus the "L" designation).  Depending on which
design software you're using, adding a signal "d" in your code might use
extra hardware when compiled.  You can get the same functionality with

   if p1 = '1' then
      p3 <= p5;
   else p3 <= p3;
   end if;

   p4 <= not p5;

BTW, this might use extra hardware too.  You'll have to check your
compiler.  It shouldn't but Cypress software (Warp) had a bug that
did it, and it seems like Xilinx (WebPack) did too.

Compilers are evil!  Down with compilers!  I want absolute power!
Give me ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

If your software allows schematic capture, the best thing to do would be
to find the D-latch primitive and use it (with an external inverter if it
doesn't provide both outputs).  If you really really want an all VHDL
design, you can then compile your single D-latch schematic into VHDL
and steal the code from yourself, for yourself.  :)

-Chris