Re: Aw: Re: [stella] moving stella from biglist

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] moving stella from biglist
From: Paul Slocum <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:31:54 -0600
thing is, these problems we're having should be easy to fix. But it's just not getting done. We've been having problems for quite a while now. The problems with the archives first started like a couple of years ago when the search function stopped working. It took many months to get that fixed (more than half a year IIRC). We had about a 3 week complete outtage, other little problems here and there, and now the archives have been completely down for months. (and my missing post wasn't in that list.) I don't see how the people we're considering could possibly be less reliable than Biglist.

Thomas's website has been up for 10 years, and Atariage has been running for something like 6. I can hardly remember any downtime for Atariage and it's MUCH more complicated to maintain that what we're talking about here. Hell, I've had my own site up for 7 years and I don't see myself ever not having my webpage up or having any problem maintaining a 2600 programming list. But I just don't have the proper maillist software installed on my server.

Also, I think part of the reason we're having problems here is BECAUSE we're being hosted by a company who's business is mailing lists. They keep updating and changing stuff, and we get left in the dust because we're not paying customers. What we need is just some mail software that's set up and doesn't change, and doesn't have hundreds of other lists running on it. And if the software is ever upgraded or changed, it's specifically for us.

-paul