Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: Jacob Rose <atari.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:29:44 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Paul Slocum wrote:

> The other issue is: should programs be able to delete other program's file
> types?  Alex thinks they should, but I think they shouldn't.  I think that
> there should be a 4k program (that can run on the Supercharger) that can
> maintain the memory and delete/move/etc files.  But not everyone may have a
> supercharger.  Yet I don't really want to have to use extra space in my
> program to include the ability to delete other program's files.

Modern consoles usually have a memory-card maintenance program built-in, so
why not an AtariVox companion cartridge to do the same thing? I guess it
wouldn't be much use in maintaining the list of file types, unless they were
all known in advance (or space were used in memory to keep a table of them,
which would cost more than just having three-byte extensions unless you had
lots of files of each type), but you could maintain your files with it and
it could include some kind of interactive demo program for generating speech
and sound with the AtariVox. Then you just have to tell the user there's no
space and he/she should delete something using the AtariVox Companion
Cartridge...only $19.95 at AtariAge. =)