Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:56:45 +1100
You guys could use the fractional bit encoding technique for storing filenames. (technique explained a long time ago on [stella])
That would require log2(numberofuniquecharacters) bits for each character. So you'd need about 5.1 bits, say, for numerics and alpha.
If you have DOS filename format, that would be 11 x 5.1 = 55 bits, so 7 bytes to store a full 8.3 filename.. And it's really not that difficult to decode, either.
Cheers

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Slocum" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>