Re: [stella] New list: Update

Subject: Re: [stella] New list: Update
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:26:54 -0500
On Friday 25 February 2005 06:26, Piero Cavina wrote:
> I have the same feeling on web forums; but I was wandering if
> it would be possible to link a mailing list to a web forum.
> That would make everybody happy, don't you think?

No, because forums are hierarchical -- replies to a thread can
only be attached to that thread -- and mailing lists, despite
many attempts to the contrary, are flat.  Posts via mail may or
may not get added to the thread in which they belong, and (in my
opinion) most forum software is not an acceptable archive of a
mailing list.  I don't know if you can do this with Mailman (I
really don't like mailman as a list manager, mostly because it
sends your password to you every month in plaintext) but if
people desire a web interface to stellalist, there should be a
way to provide a web-based posting interface that integrates
with the mailing list archive interface.  I'd write such a thing
myself if it doesn't exist already.

I think the AA programming forum and stellalist serve purposes
that are almost entirely complementary, and that no attempt
should be made to bridge them.  I also agree now that once the
atari2600.org stellalist is set up, posting to biglist
stellalist should be suspended to avoid confusion.

What is this 2stella thing we've been cc'ing all this time, btw?

Rob