Re: [stella] What's magic about a byte?

Subject: Re: [stella] What's magic about a byte?
From: "Darrell Spice, Jr." <dspice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:15:53 -0400
A byte is enough bits to represent 1 character.  On older systems a
byte was only 6 bits because they only used uppercase, numbers and a
few other characters which fit within the 64 values that can be
represented by 6 bits.

6 bit bytes are also why octal was popular, and still supported in
compilers such as GCC.  An 8 bit byte can be represented by 2 hex(base
16) characters from 0x00 to 0xff, while a 6 bit byte can be represented
by 2 octal(base 8) characters from 000 to 077(octal numbers are shown
with a leading 0).

Google on 6 bit byte or 7 bit byte and you'll turn up lots of other
info.

On Apr 11, 2005, at 6:34 PM, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> Okay, we all know that every bit is sacred, but, out of curiosity, why
> are there 8 bits in a byte as opposed to 10 or 3?
>
> Just curious.  Thanks.
>
> Ruffin Bailey
>

> Archives (includes files) at
> http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/