Re: [stella] Random seed

Subject: Re: [stella] Random seed
From: "Dennis Debro" <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:30:36 -0400
Hi Fab,

> It's been quite a while since I've last posted a message to the list,
but I've finally resumed working on my project "Bounce!" (for those who
still remember it) and enjoying again coding for the 2600!

It's nice to see you back!

> So here's my request for help: anyone has an idea on how to get a random
seed on powerup?

I adopted the technique used in Berzerk for Climber 5. I loaded y with
INTIM at startup, cleared the RAM, and then set the random seed to y. This
seemed to work fine.

There has been talk about the TIA being in a random state at startup and I
did a RIOT test some years ago to get these values. The issue with the CC
is it doesn't accurately represent a true EPROM. IIRC the CC does some
work internally that changes the state to RAM so it's not truly random.
Also the 7800's RIOT state isn't random at start up.

Take care,
Dennis