Re: [stella] Black Box Development system

Subject: Re: [stella] Black Box Development system
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:10:18 -0400
On Apr 21, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Kirk Israel wrote:

> Let's see...I think I saw one as late as 1995 or so, in an old
> computer lab at my university...dont think there was adrive for it. It
> made me see the connection between the old 8-bit home computers and
> some of the more industrial stregth machines thast preceeded them...
>
> On 4/21/05, Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2005, at 1:58 AM, David Wyn Davies wrote:
>>
>>> Last saw an 8" floppy around 1987. It was at the first place I worked
>>> as
>>> a programmer (converting PET Basic bespoke applications into GWBASIC
>>> on
>>> the PC). It was a copy of Microsoft Basic. They didn't have any 8"
>>> drives though.
>>>
>> The last one I saw in use was in about 1992.  It held the microcode
>> for
>> an IBM mainframe I/O controller of some kind that Rice had.  A 3745 or
>> something.

Well, I did say *in use*.  I bet if I rummaged a little I could look at
one in just a couple minutes.

Say, I don't suppose anyone on this list has a 5-1/4" floppy drive for
a PC that they'd be willing to unload for free or nearly so, do they?
I just rediscovered a pile of IBM PC 5-1/4" disks, and I have nothing
that can read them, since the only 5-1/4" drives I have are 1541s. Disk
][s, and Duodisks.  And a Unidisk, but same problem.  And a slightly
b0rked Atari 5-1/4" drive.  But nothing PC-ish.

Adam