RE: [stella] A new generation--offa stella list?

Subject: RE: [stella] A new generation--offa stella list?
From: "Dennis Debro" <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:29:27 -0400
Hi Kirk,

> So what do you think?  Am I right in my guesses about the present and
> future of [stella]? If so should we fight it or roll with it?

I have feared this for a while. [stella] has held a special place in my
heart for several years. Even when I was a lurker I loved to read the posts
and go through the source to figure out what was going on.

I too see a lot of activity going to AA. I, like you, am not knocking AA as
I like the community there too. It is/was nice to log in to your e-mail box
and get excited when you see a new [stella] post. Half the time I miss the
posts on AA because they're a little harder to find. I use the new posts
feature but sometimes I miss questions or milestones. Having these [stella]
related things come in on e-mail makes sure I see them and I respond where I
can.

As for fighting it, I don't think you can. It's easier for a new comer to
find their way to AA more so than [stella]. I also hear from some new comers
that they feel [stella] is for the more technical programmer and that's not
so. Sure a lot of discussions here can get technical but that's because
there are a lot of veterans still here that contribute. [stella] can help a
new comer just as well as a more advanced programmer. All we ask is that you
do some research before asking your question. I understand that sometimes it
can be tough finding your answers in the archives. I've run into this
myself. But as long as you show some since of initiative then a number of
people are willing to help.

Hmmm...now that I think about it could I be part of the problem? What I mean
by that is if I just work on my projects outside of [stella] and just post
when they're done, then I'm not contributing either. I'd rather post
completed projects or projects at a certain milestone vs. hitting the list
with minor updates. BTW, it's not like I'm working on a new game, I'm still
disassembling ROMs. But maybe I can post progress of these to help spark
some conversation. It could also speed up the process by getting some input
too.

Oh well, this is just my 2 cents worth.

LONG LIVE THE STELLA LIST!!!!

Take care,