Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0

Subject: Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:54:26 -0400
> Thanks, Lee. You already know about how I feel about your role in
> this, reflex editor really was an inspiration, especially once I
> learned I didn't have to be quite so weirdly-OOish.

Still, I wouldn't abandon OO in JavaScript.  It has peculiarities in its implementation, but as you know, OO can make life easier in a lot of cases.  Particularly in game and UI coding with JS.

> Yeah, IE seems more sluggish than firefox.  Ah well, code first,
> optimize later ;-)

I had some serious speed problems with IE when I was working on AsciiBurgertime.  I had to create a custom ... er ... kernel ... specifically for IE.  As it turned out, blitting a giant DIV full of ASCII is faster than blitting each object in IE, but vice versa in Firefox and Netscape.

> I find the editor fun to use... "can I make a purple robed wizard
> following the per scanline rules?" etc...I almost worry it might
> provoke a flood of the n00bs saying "look i made this, it follows the
> rules, now can someone code it for me?" -- especially if I have it
> spit out ready to DASM source, running the thing around on screen.

Which will subsequently provoke us to respond, "Please visit Kirk's 2600 101." :)

> You know, I could almost see a "use current frame as background for
> onion skin" / "clear onion skin background" button that would
> effectively set the background for the main canvas.  I think the
> problem then is how to fade out the background so it's strong contrast
> with the current layer.  Maybe taking each color value and dividing
> each of the R,G,B component by 2?  Or do you have a different CSS-y
> trick in mind?

I didn't look closely at how you're setting cell colors, but yeah, I'd use some multiplier as you described.  I was sort of half-joking about onion-skinning though.  Whenever I see a program that supports animating frames, I always look for an onion-skin feature.  However, this particular editor is probably lo-res enough not to really need it... particularly once copy-paste starts working.  (But it would still be a nice feature! ;)

Ciao.

-Lee