Re: [stella] VCS C programming

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS C programming
From: Kevin Lipe <kevin.lipe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 01:09:53 -0400
What about a higher-level language that abstracted away all the
bit-level comparing that is done on each scanline, and allows
if/then/else, do/while, etc. high level things to be determined by the
compiler and then converted to optimized 6502 code? This way every
kernel is still customized, but some of the boolean operations and
branch instructions are handled by the language and compiler instead
of the programmer... I don't think you could ever create a high level
language that would create game kernels efficient enough for a
"production" homebrew, but such a language would help with rapid
prototyping of ideas. The kernel generated by the higher-level
language could then be analyzed and optimized as an assembly-language
program once the basics are in place...

Does that make sense? A language that abstracts away some of the more
time-consuming portions of 2600 programming in order to enable rapid
prototyping of an idea, and then once the prototype is "sort-of"
functional (as in, a simple demonstration of a gameplay idea) the
compiler outputs to a DASM-ready .s file for the programmer to
continue work on. I think that'd be good.

~ kevin