Re: [stella] VCS C programming

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS C programming
From: Ben Larson <benjamin_e_larson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:28:13 -0400
--- David Galloway <davidgalloway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I concur with your approach Ben, I had given this a
> bit of thought in
> the past and it does seem that a system might be
> possible that wasn't so
> much a classic computer language but more akin to a
> Hardware Design
> Language where the result is inferred from a set of
> input design
> parameters. Is this similar to what you were
> thinking?
>
>  - David

Yea I think that's basically what I was thinking - a
language that describes what to do rather than how to
do it.  Maybe a simple XML schema that defines the
physical parameters of everything you want on screen
could be used as the input.  The program would figure
out the 'how' part and output a working kernel.  I
mean, there's only a finite number of 'atomic' kernel
operations, a finite way to implement them, and a
finite way to order those implementations, so
theoretically I *think* it would be possible to write
a program that searches all possibilities until it
finds one that works (maybe).  Basically it would be a
brute-force tree-search algorithm - sort of like a
'Deep-Blue' of VCS kernel creation, as opposed than
chess...

Ben

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail