Re: [stella] sample of Atari sounds

Subject: Re: [stella] sample of Atari sounds
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:27:00 -0400
On Sat, 21 May 2005, Kirk Israel wrote:

> Or
> if there was a way of capturing those sounds without resorting to a
> microphone? (Like sampling straight out of Z26 with a custom sound
> generation program)

z26 can save its audio data to a file (any SDL app can):

Set the environment variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER=disk, then run z26. You
shouldn't hear any audio.

When you exit z26, you should see a file called sdlaudio.raw in the
current directory. This is raw 8-bit mono unsigned audio data at either
31400Hz (for an NTSC ROM) or 31113Hz for PAL). If you're using Linux
(or any UNIX-like environment, including Cygwin on Windows), you can
use the sox command to convert this to a .wav file, which is a lot more
convenient to deal with. The command would look something like:

sox -t raw -c 1 -b -r 31400 -u sdlaudio.raw -t wav -c 1 -r 44100 -w -s audio.wav

(Note: that's from memory, I may have mangled it badly)

If you're not into UNIXy command line stuff, I'm sure there are plenty of
Windows-native audio conversion programs that can play the sdlaudio.raw
or convert it into a more useful format... but not being a Windows user,
I can't tell you the names of any.

Hope this helps.

--
B.