Re: [stella] Games using unofficial opcodes

Subject: Re: [stella] Games using unofficial opcodes
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:58:37 -0400
>I remember similar rumors from that time. E.g. a copy protection which
>could enable all bits in the memory, causing a "short-circuit" which
>would break your computer.
>
>I am pretty sure those where all myths to prevent ignorant kids from
>illegally copying software. Didn't work. :-)

There were some believable rumors though.  Supposedly there was a class of
programs that would destroy disk drives in a matter of hours by vibrating
the drive head much faster than specifications or banging it against the
stops too fast, repeatedly, until the drive failed.  As copy protection,
though, this would be hard not to notice, but I could see a vandal trying
such a program out on a school's computer and letting it run all night.