Re: [stella] Crazy Balloon Beginner Mode

Subject: Re: [stella] Crazy Balloon Beginner Mode
From: Weston Hilton <henitrope@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:35:28 -0400
Hey Manuel,

Okay, I was able to see the glitch happen again, so I've included 4
screengrabs from z26 to give you a better idea of what it looks like
is causing the problem. I haven't posted images to stella before. If
they don't show up for you, let me know and I can email you them
privately or through AtariAge PM. :-)

Some things I noted:

I played 2 sessions of the game, trying to repeat the glitch. In both
cases, the glitch did not appear until the program had been running in
z26 for about 10 minutes, maybe a bit longer.

When the glitch first appeared, I was purposely running into the wall
rapidly, using up all my lives. After the balloon "popped", the glitch
appeared. As before, pressing select or reset did not fix it. I could
still move the balloon sprite, but it is then impossible to not get a
collision with the walls, obviously.

I closed that session and opened the game again. After about 10
minutes, the glitch appeared without me moving anything! So, my guess
is that the problem is not connected to moving the balloon sprite, or
collision with the playfield.

So it seems to be something in the program happens after it is running
for about 10 minutes, or something wrong with z26.

To be honest, I'm not sure if my balloon was "damaged" when the glitch
appeared. My eyes are having a hard time seeing if my balloon has
changed color or not. But I do know that I have difficulty B set.

I hope this helps. If I discover anything new, I'll be sure to let you know.

Later,

Weston

On 6/13/05, Eric Ball <ericball@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It sounds to me like something ran amok and overwrote some TIA registers
> which the game only updates during power-on initialization.

> Unsub & more at http://stella.biglist.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of crazy03.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of crazy04.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of crazy07.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of crazy08.jpg]