[stella] Stella 2.0 alpha 1 available

Subject: [stella] Stella 2.0 alpha 1 available
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:14:41 -0400
All of you who have been waiting forever for a proper debugger for the
VCS, here's something for you. This is a pre-release Windows binary,
from current Stella CVS code. It has the debugger it its half-finished
state (see docs/Debugger.txt inside the zip file).

Download from http://www.hardcoders.org/stella-20050618.zip and enjoy :)

We're releasing this now for a couple of reasons. First, it's already
useful as a debugger: All the basic features of a "machine language
monitor" are there. Second, we're doing this for you, the [stella]
collective, to use... so we want your feedback. Let us know what you
think. If you have an idea for a new feature or a better way to implement
something, we want to hear from you. If you find a bug, we also want
to hear about it (though we *know* this pre-release is full of bugs and
untested code, so that's less important).

Linux and other non-Windows users: there's only a Win32 binary in this
archive, but you can always check out the latest CVS source and build
your own.

I'm not sure if there are any 2600 devs on AtariAge who aren't also on
this list, but if there are, would somebody post this there so they can
have a look?

Here are Stephen's release notes:

> Now a few notes:
>
> 1)  Fullscreen OpenGL mode is currently a but strange in Windows.
> Better not to use it right now.
>
> 2)  Documentation isn't quite complete, so there's probably
> functionality there that isn't explained.
>
> 3)  Obviously, a lot of stuff isn't done yet.
>
> 4)  And finally, it may crash :)  Seriously, there's an OpenGL lockup
> bug that I haven't tracked down yet.
>
> Let me know what you think.  Advice/comments are welcome.
>
> Steve

Have fun!

--
B.