RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:33:43 -0400
Just as a sanity check, I ran SI and fried it in my special version of
Stella 1.4.2 until I got the double shots.  It took a few times to get the
double shots, and the time it worked, I held the "frying" button down for
about 0.25 seconds, so perhaps the code I posted ran 15 times.  If possible,
maybe the "frying" button in 2.0 Alpha could run the code a random number of
times too, like 1-15 or so per click to help replicate it better.  Well, we
can all try it out in the next alpha and see how well it works.

Oh, and I captured the state file for double shots.  I'll attach it while
I'm at it...

>From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
>Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:35:26 -0400
>

>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>
> > Frying is the holy-grail of 2600 emulation.  If you get this working it
>will be a huge event.
>
>Well, we're going to add the code to Stella, along with a big "Thank you"
>to Fred Quimby in the documentation. The next alpha should have it, even.
>
> > But what you really need to do is be able to load up a particular frying
>scenario for a game so you don't have to actually fiddle with the frying to
>get certain well known scenarios like double-shots in Space Invaders.
> > If the fry files were stored in a matching subdirectory then when you
>load the game, the Stella GUI could present a dropdown of fry versions of
>the game.
>
>We already have state-save and -load, with a GUI file selector. I don't
>see any need for a separate "fried state" menu: you'd just stick your
>fried-state files in the statefile directory like any other state file.
>
>State files don't contain the ROMs (just the MD5 sum of the ROM),
>so they're perfectly legal to post to the list, share on Kazaa, or
>whatever else. We could include a few in the Stella distribution, but
>probably not a lot of them. There could be a separate package that's a
>huge collection of state files, if anyone's willing to create them...
>
> > Someone would have to virtually fry on Stella and when they eyeball that
>the game is in a well-known frying state, save off the state.  It will be
>really amazing to know once and for all which conditions in memory are the
>trigger for these special effects and to be able to step through the code
>and understand why it works that way.  It would also be possible now to
>create fry-proof homebrews (if that is desires).
>
>When ready to save the state, you'd be able to name it anything you like,
>including "invaders_fried.sta". The only thing special about it would
>be the filename.
>
>--
>B.
>Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/
>Unsub & more at http://stella.biglist.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment with a content-type header it could not parse.]