Aw: [stella] Emulator detection

Subject: Aw: [stella] Emulator detection
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 04:09:39 -0400
Hi there!

> An anonymous source (I will let him identify himself if he so desires) has
> just sent me a binary which effectively allows code to determine if it is
> running on an emulator or not.

Is it exploiting a bug? Then it should be fixed. For example you can easily
identify PCAE via this bug:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200111/msg00253.html

Thomas and I experimented some with stuff like that, IIRC it's also possible
to identify a CC via unique memory footprints.

Well, in the end we found that we can indeed stop binaries from running
anywhere but the real thing, but we also found that people with our knowledge
can as easily *crack* those binaries to run again...

(I think it all started out when I was trying to code a hack protection for
Gunfight)

In the end I just don't think it's worth it. Either people want to support the
homebrew scene in 2005 or they don't.

Greetings,
Manuel

Machen Sie aus 14 Cent spielend bis zu 100 Euro!
Die neue Gaming-Area von Arcor - |ber 50 Onlinespiele im Angebot.
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-gaming-1