Re: [stella] Emulator detection

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulator detection
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:37:55 -0400
Greetings!

Just wanted to give my two cents in this discussion, since I'm
actively involved in producing homebrew games for sale in cartridge
form.  It's impossible to determine if having homebrew ROMs floating
around impacts sales of games in cartridge form negatively or
positively.  I believe it helps in many cases, where people have a
chance to try out a game before buying it in cartridge form.  In
other cases, it hurts sales where people can play games on a real
system using a Cuttle Cart, Krokodile Cart, or some other similar
device.  Does it balance out?  I have no idea.  But I'd rather see
the binaries out there where everyone can enjoy them, rather than
just the small number of people who buy a game in cartridge form.

We started AtariAge to share information about classic Atari consoles
and computers, and when we started selling games I never wanted the
AtariAge Store to interfere with our support of the homebrew
community. The store was started to help support the expense of
running the AtariAge servers (there are two right now, one for the
main site, and another that hosts several other classic gaming sites,
such as AtariArchives.org), not to make anybody (such as myself)
wealthy.  So I've always encouraged homebrew authors to release their
binaries publicly, as well as development versions so they can get
feedback before the game is complete.

While it's an interesting intellectual exercise, I don't really feel
it's worth the effort to try and prevent 2600 binaries from running
in emulators.  Even if this wasn't an open discussion on an open
mailing list, it would be fairly trivial for someone to dump a
cartridge, determine the scheme being used to prevent the binary from
running in an emulator, and then either patch the emulator or patch
the binary to allow it to run.

  ..Al
Albert Yarusso, http://www.AtariAge.com
Atari News, Forums, Media, Guides, and more!