Re: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler
From: "Slor" <slor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:02:21 -0400
> One comment...I did glance at the source. I know everyone writes in
> the language they are most comfortable with, but I suspect C isn't the
> easiest thing to do this kind of parsing in. (Of course somehow I got
> my compsci degree without taking the usual "compilers" course, so I
> know stuff like yacc is out there but all I know is Perl and Java)
> But I guess the difficulty of C is apparent to the user, since it's
> pretty fragile with one space breaking things. It might be possible to
> extract some of the cool work you've done and put it into something
> that has more powerful "tokenizer" abilities.

If the language is expected to become more advanced as time goes, I would
concur that a nice lex/yacc parser might be a good way to go.  flex and
bison are readily available for everyone, and I could help get you started
if you like.

By the way, I really like the idea and hope to get to try out the compiler
tonight!

--
James