[stella] 3F question

Subject: [stella] 3F question
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:16:02 -0400
So I've finished Stella's 3E bankswitch support. It'll be in the next
alpha, which will be in a day or two. Andrew Davies' notBoulderDash demos
work, and so does Armin's 3E test ROM. There's autodetection for 3E images
too, so you shouldn't have to edit stella.pro to get your 3E ROM to work.

While messing with 3E, I was looking at the 3F support, and there was
a comment to the effect that writes to $00 through $3F should trigger a
bankswitch *and* write to the TIA, but that "for now" Stella didn't do
both (it just switched banks).

I've added code to 3F that makes it do both... but I just wanted to
ask the experts and make sure I'm doing the right thing: A write to any
of the standard TIA addresses on real 3F hardware will affect both the
TIA and the bankswitching. Is this correct, and are there any special
cases I should know about?

I realize there's no practical use for this: 3F games use the TIA
mirror at $40, and anyone writing to the main TIA addresses has probably
mis-assembled his code. I'm just trying to make Stella's 3F emulation as
accurate as possible... and after what I had to do to the 3E code to get
it to run Armin's test ROM correctly, the 3F change was just a one-liner,
an afterthought.

--
B.