Re: [stella] on Batari BASIC

Subject: Re: [stella] on Batari BASIC
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:48:01 -0400
Greetings,

On Jul 21, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Thomas Jentzsch wrote:
> Fred Quimby wrote:
>
>> The impending flood of simple games was what initially gave me pause.
>> Assembly has always been more capable than Basic, and this is
>> still the case
>> with bB.  But I thought to myself exactly what is written above -
>> Simple
>> games can still be fun!  Plus the newfound ability to make 2600
>> games seems
>> to be making a lot of people happy :)
>>

> Which is good. And maybe one or two of those will eventually start
> programming in assembler.

Just my two cents about this--I also think that this is a great way
to introduce budding programmers to the 2600.  I'm sure that some
people who are introduced to 2600 programming via Batari's 2600 BASIC
will eventually graduate to assembly.  And I'm also confident that
we'll see a variety of enjoyable games created just with 2600 BASIC
alone.    Hell, I've done 6502 programming in the distant past (on
Atari 8-bit computers), and even I might use this as an opportunity
to finally prototype some game ideas that have been bouncing around
in my head.  :)

  ..Al

Albert Yarusso, http://www.AtariAge.com
Atari News, Forums, Media, Guides, and more!