[no subject]

However, the environment can be adapted to other kernels. The most promise
bB has lies in kernel development, which is where the fun is at, IMHO.
Strong efforts to improve the ability for more people to attempt these kinds
of things will yield the better bB games. Of course that begs the question,
"why not just go assembly?" For me, the answer is time. Being an adoptive
foster parent of 4 and self-employed, my time for such projects is sharply
limited. I jumped in to the bB knowing I could complete a project and
achieve a goal in a doable amount of time. (I'm the author of the ooze
game.) IMHO, there are going to be three kinds of bB authors: those that
hack around a little and have some fun then move on, those that are or
become solid bB programmers (I'm in that camp), and those that move toward
assembly. (Maybe I will get there, time permitting.)

I found it interesting the number of queries about better visuals, etc...
When vdub_bobby showed an alternative kernel that displayed more than the
standard sprites, interest rose. That got me to thinking, if we have more
kernel programmers, we will end up with more quality 2600 games. A bB hybrid
project where the kernel is assembly and the game logic is largely bB would
compete rather well with your outstanding efforts to date while keeping
development time to a minimum. That's the path I intend to follow for now,
once I finish the project I started. Honestly, I think this approach will
yield some damn good games without as much of a time / learning barrier. We
shall see.

About the flood of poor quality games. I'm not sure we are ever going to see
that actually. Those that bother to write anything at all will be seeking
review from their peers. If it does not catch on, well --it just does not
catch on and the project will just stop as the author moves onto something
else. It's one thing to write something, get it put on a cart for one's own
enjoyment. It's quite another to have said cart offered to the community. I
think that will act as a check on any flood of games.

Finally, Kirk has some interesting thoughts about the relative worth of a
completed assembly project. I know enough to not devalue that just because
the process just got easier. The really good games remain a product of some
real thinking and assembly hacking. That's not going to change with bB on
the 2600. (A really good 7800 kernel might just open the doors fairly wide
however.) I think a lot of wannabes are going to pick this up, start coding
then realize "wow" that did take a lot of work. Assembly or basic, the
debugging, play balance, and general polish efforts are unchanged. The basic
process is faster and less mentally taxing, but it's still work. I'm in the
middle of that right now. Game works, is fun, but it not yet all it can be.
The people that follow through with that are going to have enough sense to
understand both what you all have done and appreciate their own efforts as
well. In short, no worries, you all still kick some serious ass and anyone
that actually matters knows that.