Re: [stella] compact send-only serial subroutine

Subject: Re: [stella] compact send-only serial subroutine
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:38:55 -0400
--- Fred Quimby <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you prefer use a TTL level converter like the
> ones you posted, the
> program needs to be modified.  See comments below
> for how to modify the
> program if you use one of these.

Could you explain why you invert the start and stop
bits with a TTL converter?  I'm assuming that this
reverses how the serial port interprets marks and
spaces in relation to the voltages, right?

I'm all for saving money, but what would happen if you
connected the receive line also and tried to read on
the 2600 without a TTL converter?  I'm thinking that
would be worse because you'd be feeding a -12v and
+12v signal to a port that is designed for 0 and +5v.