Re: Re: [stella] Update: "do re bB" and webTune2600

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] Update: "do re bB" and webTune2600
From: Kirk Israel <kirkjerk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:25:31 -0400
On 8/18/05, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> > > Well, and if you'd write a proper 5.3 music driver you could use music.h
> > > for some better sounding note names than:
> > 5.3 music driver?  Like one that embeds distortion value in the
> > remaining 3 bits?    Hmm, interesting idea!
 > Uhm... yes... that's how I thought any 26000 driver normally works.

Well, it makes a lot of sense, but I hadn't seen the technique
described before. Do you think, then, the way 8 bits completely holds
the maximum range of distortion plus frequency is design or
coincidence? (And if design, why couldn't they just use a single
register for both?)

Also, with a "normally working 2600 driver", is there a standard way
of indicating "rest"? I was using $FF to indicate "turn volume to
nothing", but that wouldn't work with the 5.3 technique. Does it have
a "magic value" that doesn' come up in real life that can be used as a
flag?

> > Well, part of the point of the exercise was to use the output of
> > Tune2600, which isn't friendly like that, but I guess I could add
> > another column amalgamating the two...
>
> Admittedly I didn't look at the webinterface. You sounded as if it were just a frontend for the DOS exe? Isn't the output 100% in your control then?

Yep, that's what I described...right now Tune2600 outputs a decimal
value for distortion, and a decimal value for frequency in seperate
columns, so I could grab those and add them together hex-wise.

> > Possibly I could add to the scraping of tune2600 to get those, though
> > I don't like how it would mean information would be in two places,
>
> What?

oops, meant to erase that.