Re: [stella] Driving controller issue (continued from AA Events forum)

Subject: Re: [stella] Driving controller issue (continued from AA Events forum)
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:48:15 -0400
Lee wrote:
> Thomas, I think Reflex actually has code in there to compensate for driving
controller "fast spin" ambiguity by using the last rotation value (-1, 0, or
1) and multiplying it by two, but I never thoroughly tested it.

All you have to do is, to detect the initial movement direction. If you know
the DC was moving left (+1), then an ambigious value of +/-2 can be
interpreted correctly. And maybe even -1 could be reinterpreted as being +3 in
fact, if the last movement was +2. Though you would have to spin *really* fast
then. :-)

> In fact, I really hope it's broken! :)  If that's the case, then fixing it
should make the game much more playable with the driving controller.  The sad
part is that I won't be able to do much with Reflex until later in the week.
I'll be spending all my otherwise "free" time at work. :(

I wouldn't expect too much from it.  The resolution is just too low. Maybe you
could invent some clever dynamic movement, based on the error corrected code.
E.g. when you move +2 this results into +4. Or, the longer you move the faster
the result (+1,+2,+3...).

Or you treat the DC as a steering wheel. E.g. once you moved the DC left the
object keeps on moving into that direction until you return into the "neutral"
position. And the further you move left, the faster the object moves left.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |