Re: [stella] Stella Migration Update

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Migration Update
From: "Eric Ball" <ericball@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:37:04 -0400
> > Bring the 7800 into the picture?
> Well, there is the (sadly low-traffic) Maria list for that..
> http://www.freelists.org/list/atari7800

True, although the archives for that list don't contain attachments.  (I do,
however, have two complete archives of the list.  One in OE and one on
gmail.)  It's simply low volume because it has few members and even fewer
contributors.  Perhaps when stella at atari2600.org gets fully established,
we can move it over to maria at atari2600.org.

Any online community (mailing list, Internet BB, newsgroup, etc.) is the sum
of its members and what they chose to contribute.  I've been a member of
[stella] for several years (first post back in Oct 2001), and hang around AA
as well.

One of the things I like about [stella] is the high signal to noise ratio
(well, except for this kind of meta discussion).  Hopefully it will remain
so after it moves to AA.  And it needs to move, not because Russ & Biglist
aren't doing their best to address people's concerns, but because people
have lost confidence in the list's ability to provide it's two most
important functions - forwarding everything to everybody & archiving it in a
searchable form.

I have to say that I prefer [stella] to AA because following AA seems to
require more time, unfortunately.  Perhaps it's just because it's a more
vibrant, active & populous community.  Maybe it's that S/N ratio, or simply
the narrower focus of the topics.  And I think that the focus of [stella]
will naturally remain ASM instead of bB, but I hope the members will be just
as helpful and tolerant of those bB programmers as they have been to any
other newbie.