RE: understanding trees

Subject: RE: understanding trees
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:30:49 +0100
> the one thing i couldn't get straight yet is one of the
> question that is
> also in the spec (6.1.1):
> 'Is the parent of an attribute node the element that the
> attribute is on?'

I suspect the question is in there because I raised it as a query a few days
before the current spec was published.

The spec (both the April 21 draft and the previous one) states clearly that
an attribute is not the child of its containing element, but it doesn't
explicitly say whether or not the parent of an attribute is the containing
element. Your knowledge of biology might lead you to imagine that "parent"
and "child" are mutually inverse relationships, but it's dangerous to make
such assumptions when reading a spec! (In any case, what have parents and
children got to do with branches of a tree?)

Mike Kay