Re: stylesheets for stylesheets (was Re: Swapping table rows and columns)

Subject: Re: stylesheets for stylesheets (was Re: Swapping table rows and columns)
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:01:07 -0700
At 99/07/06 21:36 +0800, James Tauber wrote:
>> Everyone knows how XSL script writers *always* document their efforts.
>:{)}
>
>What they should do is write Knuthian WEB-like XML document that, upon
>application of one stylesheet, produces the desired stylesheet and upon
>application of another stylesheet produces documentation of that stylesheet.
>
>I don't know that this idea is as crazy as it sounds (at least to me).

I've already done this for DSSSL with my CSLDSSSL environment, where I also
had the luxury of architectural forms.

I have a DSSSL stylesheet that takes a CSLDSSSL modeled stylesheet and
emits a stylesheet that conforms to the one James Clark made available for
JADE (for use in other tools that may be improperly hardwired).

I have another DSSSL stylesheet that formats a CSLDSSSL modeled stylesheet
and produces documentation.

An architecturally aware DSSSL processor, such as JADE, can act on a
CSLDSSSL modeled stylesheet directly.

I believe Norm Walsh subsequently used this technique in his DOCBOOK works.

CSLDSSSL is freely available off our web site in the resources area under
"Annotatable DSSSL Stylesheet".

So I too think this is *not* a crazy idea and I look forward to see what
you do.  Given my own documentation requirements, I'll probably end up
writing one for myself, but I like to learn from others.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/