Re: language

Subject: Re: language
From: Paul Warren <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:24:42 +0100
Miloslav Nic wrote:

> That is tricky. I would sugest following solution, which is not pure,
> but after all, the result is the important thing:
>
> Use Perl or different language to postprocess your file.

If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, you can do this
using XML Script (http://www.xmlscript.org) like this...

<XST __maxCR='1'>
  <_data>
    <!-- Animals names to translate -->
    <Animal name="Dog" />
    <Animal name="Cat" />

    <!-- Translations -->
    <Trans english="Dog" french="Chien" />
    <Trans english="Cat" french="Chat"  />
  </_data>

  <!-- Template for displaying translations -->
  <_template name="Trans_template">
      <TD> # .french # </TD>
  </_template>

  <!-- Template for displaying animal names -->
  <_template name="Animal_template">
    <TR>
      <TD> # .name # </TD>
      <_process object="\Trans{.english == %.name}" />
    </TR>
  </_template>

  <!-- methods -->
  <_method object="Animal" template="Animal_template" />
  <_method object="Trans" template="Trans_template" />

  <!-- process Animal objects -->
  <_process object="Animal" />

</XST>

The output from this should be:

    <TR>
       <TD>Dog</TD>
       <TD>Chien</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
       <TD>Cat</TD>
       <TD>Chat</TD>
    </TR>

Is that what you wanted?

yours,

Paul

> > Thanx for your repy.. well, you have a nice solution
> > BUT the problem is that I have an xml file.....
> > I read elements from the xml file and I generate a table with two columns,
> > one for the name of the element and the other for generating a textfield.
> > Well, I will use different xml file, they  have the same structure but of
> > course something changes between different elemens
> > Let's say that I have an xml file containing animals
> > <animal name="dog"></animal>
> > <animal name="cat"></animal>
> > <animal name="cow"></animal>
> > <animal name="mouse"></animal>
> > <animal name="rat"></animal>
> > <animal name="lion"></animal>
> >
> > I will generate a table like
> >
> > Cat     Textfield
> > Cow     Textfield
> > Mouse   Textfield
> > Dog     Textfield
> > Rat     Textfield
> > lion    Textfield
> >
> > Of course I grab the name of each animal from an attribute, but I use
> > <xsl:copy> to copy the name into the table
> > How can I do something like your solution???
> > Keep present also that I won't create the xml file and the xml file couldn't
> > have such as an <!ELEMENT text>
> > Thanx in advance
> > Br
> > marco