Re: Relationship between XSLT and ASP (was Re: asp problem)

Subject: Re: Relationship between XSLT and ASP (was Re: asp problem)
From: disco <disco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:03:04 -0500 (EST)
Paul,

> 4. It lacks streaming, that means every incoming stream of XML events
> should get accumulated into DOM-alike structure before starting
> processing, that also forces memory accolactions / deallocations again
> and that means "you'l better to filter / sort / group on the level of
> SQL server, but not on the level of XSLT"

Maybe I'm entirely mistaken, but isn't the premise behind Cocoon 2 (for
example) that you can use streaming-ish things like SAX and not have to
build document trees for your source?

I understand that you would have to build trees for your result output,
due to aggregating functions such as <xsl:for-each> and so forth, but you
should just be able to accumulate the output result as the input "stream"
comes in.

The only thing I might really be confused by is whether there is an
intended meaning to the word "stream" which I'm missing.

Dan