RE: doctype decl problem

Subject: RE: doctype decl problem
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 12:26:54 -0000

> Either way, I have a file which when used with the above
> prolog shortened to
>
> <?xml version = "1.0" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE svg  SYSTEM "path/to/myLocalCopyOf/SVG-19991203.dtd">
>
> No element below the root is triggering any of the templates....

Weird. Can't think of any legitimate reason for this. What XSLT processor
and XML parser are you using?

> btw, if / is the root template, whats the 'outermost'
> container called, in this case <svg> ?

I call it the "outermost element". In DOM it's called the "document
element". XML section 2.1 says "There is exactly one element, the
<b>root</b>, or document element, no part of which...

XPath uses the term "root" for what the DOM calls the "document", and it
doesn't have a name for the outermost element, because there doesn't have to
be one (XPath works on what the XML Fragments proposal calls a "well
balanced document", which XSLT calls an "external general parsed entity" -
i.e. not only on well-formed documents).

Shame that these committees don't talk to each other.

Mike Kay