Re: XSLT vs Omnimark

Subject: Re: XSLT vs Omnimark
From: "Vincent Bernat" <bernat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 14:24:19 +0100 (CET)
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:24:25 -0500 (EST), The XSL-List Digest wrote:

>Especialy I'l be very interested to know if  there is something real behind the
>sentence above.  Actualy, when I see such sentences,  I become very sceptic
>about the product. Many of them tried to kill perl, but trying to kill perl in *that*
>area?
>Hardly possible, I think.

Well, I have just done a few steps with Omnimark and I am not a Perl
expert. But... Omnimark takes some advantages of Perl, like the
"streaming" idea, the facility of handling files and the
simple-to-understand language. I think that Omnimarks have all the
possibilities of a basic Perl. The problem is that it doesn't have as
many modules as Perl has.
Making something "better" than Perl is not an impossible thing for me.
They don't have to compile all the ideas from different product like
Larry did, they have to first see what Perl can do.
I don't say that Omnimarks is better than Perl, but I say that it is
possible.

>Why OmniMark is more readable and more powerful than Perl?
>Maybe because they have 'letter' but not  \w ?

More readable : because it doesn't allow too short syntax like Perl.
There are some shortcuts, but not as drastic as in Perl. More powerful
? Well, it doesn't work in the same way. One of it's main advantage is
that it is an "event" based language. It fires events when it
encounters a letter, a digit, a regular expression. It could be
powerful or not. However, it is a great concept.

>XSLT is absolutely different concept.  I don't understand how those 2 things
>could be compared. We are not comparing XSLT with perl, right ?

Omnimarks is able to handle natively XML and works in the same way as
XSLT : XSLT recognizes tags dans applies rules on it. It is exactly
what can do Omnimarks : it has a built-in XML processor. But Omnimarks
reacts to any "entities", not just tags.