Re: differences

Subject: Re: differences
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:23:19 +0000 (GMT)
Carole E. Mah writes:

 > Do people have strong opinions about which processor is better, and why
 > (Xalan, XT, Saxon, other)?
 >
 > I've searched the archives, and there are bits and pieces of opinions here
 > and there, but no cohesive statements by anyone listing (all together in
 > one posting) the reasons to prefer one over another.

 - XT is best because its the fastest
 - Saxon is best because it implements all the spec
 - Oracle is best because it has a C version alongside (incomplete)
 - Xalan is best because it it is politically correct (in Apache)
 - Microsoft is best 'cos its in the browser

If Michael Kay's reported optimization changes in Saxon live up to
expectations (ie it reaches the approximate speed of XT), I for one
plan to switch to it from XT. Perhaps a downside (or strength,
depending on your view) is that it has a single author who does it for
"fun".[1] The fact that James Clark seems to have gone entirely quiet
with xt (ie it is still incomplete vis-a-vis the spec) shows the problem
with that.

If Microsoft release a version of their XSLT which 100% implements
the spec, of course the picture changes dramatically.

sebastian

[1] I assume. I hope I don't misrepresent Michael.