[no subject]

From: mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mike Brown)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:59:59 GMT
Gary Frick wrote:
> Since I joined this list I have posted 3 questions
> and received ZERO replies.

Well, you posted 3 questions in one post on March 3, currently archived at http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg09456.html

In that post, you implied that you are using the language-known-as-XSL-in-IE5. You'll find that there are not a lot of people on this mailing list who are willing or able to help, because that particular implementation of the Dec 1998 working draft of XSL (before there was even XSLT) is so incomplete and out of date. Even the recent MSXML update is significantly incomplete.

On top of that, your first question wasn't even a question, it was a statement. Your second question was extremely vague and unanswerable. Your third question was very specific to IE5 and should be posted to the microsoft.public.xml Usenet newsgroup. You really have very little room to gripe.

To your credit, though, you did better explain the second question in a separate post:

"I'm formatting for values returned from a SQL query. Some columns may contain NULL. [How] do I test for NULL character since it isn't a valid character in XML world?"

I suppose it is theoretically possible to put a NULL in the source tree, for example by manually adding a text node to a DOM rather than letting an XML parser create the DOM from a well-formed document.

But you cannot, in your stylesheet document or even in the stylesheet tree, use a literal NULL character, � character reference, or even a function call to refer to a non-XML character. I would point you to the relevant sections of the XPath spec, but if you insist on using IE5, you should stick to Microsoft's documentation and support resources.

   - Mike